Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lip Balms: One Hit One Miss

I have mentioned before that I have an obsession with lip balms. I don't have as big of a collection as some of you may, but I do love to find good lip balms that will cure me of the dry, chapped lips that I often get. So far I have found one that I really like, the Blistex medicated lip ointment, but after using it for a while it doesn't seem to be working as well as it did when I first came across it. When a deal on Hautelook came around that gave me a $40 gift certificate for the price of $20 at beautybar.com, I decided to splurge on some new lip balms. The first one that I got is the Peter Thomas Roth Pink Bombshell Lipbalm. 
I should have known from the name that this was going to be a waste of my money. But, I wanted to see what an expensive lip balm would be like, and the pink balm inside a little glass pot appealed to me because it reminded me of the much raved about By Terry lip balm. I was choosing between this one and the Philosophy Kiss Me Tonight, and now I wonder whether I had chosen wrongly. This lip balm is interesting, but nothing special and certainly not worth the money. It has a very hard waxy texture, which makes it hard to get the product onto your lips. If you look closely it has little shimmer particles that are hardly noticeable on the lips but do create a nice sheen-y effect. It smells sickly sweet and gives a slight minty feeling. It is nice as a primer for lipstick, but I find that I cannot take it seriously as a lip moisturizer/treatment. 

The next one I bought, which I was much mored excited for was the Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Exfoliating Lip Salvation. 
There were a lot of great reviews for this one, and it kind of balanced out my disappointment with the other one. This has a much more workable texture and feels like it has little grains in it that contribute to its exfoliating effect. It has a lot of natural ingredients and I like it because it is exfoliating, but you don't need to tissue it off or anything - you can leave it on and eventually it will wear off and sink into your lips. It does leave a raspberry tint on your lips, which I usually hate, but for some reason I actually like this one. Plus, I use it mostly when I am at home so I don't mind the initial gritty feeling or the stain on my lips. My lips have been a lot smoother and I've been going for a few days without chapped, flaky lips! I really like this product and I would definitely repurchase even though it is on the expensive side for a lip treatment. 

What are your favorite lip balms that you think I should try? 

~Vida

11 comments:

  1. That sucks about the first one :( How about the Korres one? I've never tried it but I've heard good things about it :) I think my favourite are the BodyShop Born Lippies, if you want a tub one with nice smells, particularly Pink Guava :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the By Terry Baume De Rose but it's super expensive. I'm a lip balm adict too. I have tried Korres and it's good for the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually would not be able to live without lipbalms, I cringe when I have dry lips. Right now I am using my cheapie carmex. I have been dying to try the korres ones and now the Ole Henriksen one! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Smith's balm tins. They are wonderful, especially the rose one :D It's also pink and much more affordable than the Peter Roth one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reviews - I'm exactly like you - and I was so disappointed my Blistex stopped working too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool review, I love your honesty. Love Sia x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually love all PTR products so I'm sad that the balm wasn't amazing!

    If you really want to splurge on an amazing lip balm, try out La Mer's The Lip Balm. It's soooo moisturizing and applied at night before bed, you wake up with soft baby lips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw, bummer that you weren't particularly wowed by either of these! I'm obsessed with lipbalms too...for clear ones for moisture purposes I really like the C.O Bigelow Rose Salve from bath and body works, and the Minted Rose lip balm from Sephora! As for ones with a bit of a tint I really like the carmex tinted lip balms, MAC TLCs, and L'Oreal hip jelly balms. I really wish the jelly balms weren't discontinued though... :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn, girl - your photos look amazing! ♥

    Have you tried Bobbi Brown's lip balm? It's one of my HG products - not too expensive (if you take oz into account), and it's amazing in pretty much every way possible. Wears for ages, moisturizes like nobody's business, and is absolutely lovely as a lip base!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The second lip balm sounds really good. I always use Blistex, it never fails me :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really nice post and I absolutely love your photography <3

    http://thedollhousediary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!